Things to see and do in the region
Top places to visit in and around Royan :
- Île d’Oléron: Chassiron lighthouse, La Cotinière, Boyardville, the oyster route
- La Rochelle: the Medieval towers, the Old Port
- Marennes: Cayenne harbour
- Mornac: the port and the Rue du Port
- Rochefort: the Royal Rope Factory
- Meschers: the caves of Regulus and Matata
For nature lovers, there are cycle tracks and walking trails for exploring the Côte Sauvage.
Sporty types will head straight to the magnificent sandy beaches, the 18-hole Royan-Côte de Beauté golf course or the Maine Gaudin riding centre nestled in the heart of the forest.
Another must-see is the Zoo de la Palmyre, one of Europe’s best animal parks, home to more than 1,600 animals and 115 different species from around the world.